While making this recipe I learned a very important thing: If you can’t get it, make it. After looking for various recipes and going to a few supermarkets I realized that I wasn’t going to find the buttermilk needed for this recipe. Not like it hasn’t happened before, so to my surprise, you CAN make buttermilk and it’s quite simple. You can follow the instructions here. Obviously, it will never taste exactly like buttermilk but it’s kinda close.
This recipe is not only awesome for a quick breakfast or a late-night dessert, you can toast it and add some cream cheese. I bet it’ll leave you wanting for more. Here’s the recipe:
Strawberry Cream Cheese Bread
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 1/2 cups strawberries, rinse, dried and chopped
- Grease and flour a 9×5 inch loaf pan.
- With electric mixer cream butter, sugar and cream cheese until fluffy. Add eggs one at a time. Mix in vanilla.
- In separate bowl, mix flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Blend flour mixture with butter mixture just until blended. Add buttermilk and only stir until just combined; do not over mix.
- Carefully fold in strawberries. Dough mixture will be thick.
- Bake in a 350 degree oven for 50 to 60 minutes [I had to leave it for 1.5 hours, it all depends on the oven].